Tuesday 23 March 2010

Unity and respect

In my opinion we are all called to work for unity-between and among the peoples of faith and the world. Unity does not and cannot mean that we all agree about everything. We all have our boundaries and they don't overlap enough to achieve that sort of unity.


What I think we can aim for is to respect each other even when we profoundly disagree, and to speak well of each other and our chosen leaders, even when we profoundly disagree. As I have been discovering in this role, people of faith can read the bible and draw very different conclusions. What is interesting is to see how much our previous wounds influence those decisions (easier to see in others sometimes than in ourselves!).

Maybe we can only reach consensus when all our wounds are finally healed?  Which is a good reason, in my mind, to put my hope in Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment